Invite enough friends who have the same size so everyone…
MAKE SMTHNG is an international series of fun, hands-on events that celebrate creativity and use a positive message to challenge consumerism and its impact on the climate. The flagship event, MAKE SMTHNG Week, coincides with Black Friday and the start of the Christmas shopping season and hacks a mega-moment for consumerism.
MAKE SMTHNG empowers people by helping them improve their skills or by teaching them new ones – how to fix, upcycle and create special and unique things from reused materials. We believe that if you have made something, you will buy more consciously next time, whether it’s food, fashion or mobile phones. Your experience of creating an original will lead you to reflect on your consumption patterns and you will be more likely to find a way to repair, care for and share your goods before throwing them out. It is essential that we restore this culture in our communities and make spaces, where skills and knowledge are shared, an essential part of our urban life.
Consumption has been estimated to represent 60% of global greenhouse gas emissions and the majority of this consumption happens in cities. If we want to have a chance of staying below 1.5C, we need a system change fueled by many more people taking everyday climate action and changing the way we live, consume and behave in our cities.
Luckily, urban movements around the world are already practicing the new system we need.
In 2018 the MAKE SMTHNG movement again grew to unexpected proportions. Working with partners like Fashion Revolution, Shareable, Arts Thread andFab Labs, we saw tens of thousands of new people engage with MAKE SMTHNG. In 2018 we more than doubled the MSW movement from the previous year: nearly 40,000 people joined with local organizations and makers in their communities, attending 410 MSW events across 48 countries. See for yourself.
Let’s MAKE SMTHNG in our everyday lives. Join our global movement and MAKE CHANGE!
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Many of you already practice the art, craft and joy of making and doing it yourself:
cooking, mending clothes, fixing electronics, building toys, upcycling, growing your own food, making your own cosmetics and cleaning products, going plastic-free, aiming for zero waste, or sharing your clothes, bikes and homes with each other. Let’s share our skills, knowledge and experiences with each other and discover and practice new ones.
Organize your own event
- Makers – we want you! Are you a maker and want to share your skills by giving a workshop? Do you run a repair cafe, fab lab, urban garden or sewing workshop; an artisan shop or a community centre? Do you have a community that practices any of the above and want to make it visible? Perfect! Host your own MAKE SMTHNG event.
Join the movement
- Want to learn more about zero waste, minimalism, plant-based food, slow fashion, upcycling or creative DIY, making and repairing? Join our community to receive inspiration and exchange experiences with others.
Share and contribute
Share your maker experiences, pics, skills and knowledge with us and tag your great projects with #MakeSmthng #DisruptBlackFriday #MakeChangeNow
- Talk about the issue of overconsumption and consumerism with your followers by writing a post about MAKE SMTHNG.
- Make your own tutorial and contribute it to our pool.
- Create your own MAKE SMTHNG design and declare yourself part of our movement.
Become a MAKE SMTHNG Ambassador
Become a MAKE SMTHNG Ambassador in your city. You will represent the movement by reaching out and connecting to other makers in your community, coordinate and organize a joint event, do press work and participate in global virtual trainings, get connected to our global maker community.
Global Event Calendar
- 29.11.2019: Black Friday
- January 2020 – Global Zero Waste Month / Veganuary
Check out the inspirational tutorials and toolkits from our partner organizations, makers and initiatives around the world and contribute your own ideas #makesmthng.